History of the Tasmanian Government Railways W, U and V class locomotives.

W Class – In 1959 the Tasmanian Government Railways purchased two diesel-hydraulic locomotives that were capable of running in multiple. Mainly confined to the North East Line, these two locomotives were plagued with mechanical issues.  Both locomotives were scrapped in 1981, having spent their later years as shunters or close to the Launceston workshops.


U Class – Twenty small industrial locomotives were built in 1950 by Malcolm Moore to 3 foot gauge for the Kiewa hydro-electric scheme in Victoria. When this part of the project was completed, the locomotives were sold and six were purchased by the Tasmanian Government Railways and shipped to Tasmania. All were extensively rebuilt before entering service from 1958. Another two units were purchased by the Commonwealth Government, later came to Tasmania and were similarly rebuilt, but to metre gauge and were sent to Thailand.


V Class – These standard British shunting units started the dieselisation of the Tasmanian Government Railways when four locomotives were delivered in 1948. A  further four V class from England (two in each of 1951 and 1955) and built a further four in their Launceston Workshops between 1959 and 1968. The Tasmanian built locomotives were slightly different from their UK built predecessors, particularly in the body size and details. The Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company in Queenstown purchased two similar units from the UK in 1953. With the closure of that railway in 1963, one loco went to the TGR and became V13, while the other went to the Emu Bay Railway and became their number 22.

UNIT NO. / NAME

DATE / EVENT

W1

  • Early 1959 - Built by Tulloch Ltd. Rhodes, New South Wales and fitted with a Rolls Royce C8TFL 350hp engine & Krupp 2WI.LI.15 transmission.

  • Mid 1959? - Arrived in Tasmania  (ship unknown)

  • 10/1959 - Entered service in red colour scheme

  • Date unknown - Painted in Tiger stripe livery

  • Early 1980 - Stored out of service 

  • 16/01/1981 - Written off

  • 7/1981 - Stripped of mechanical components

  • 17/08/1981 - Scrapping completed

W2

  • Early 1959 - Built by Tulloch Ltd. Rhodes, New South Wales and fitted with a Rolls Royce C8TFL 350hp engine & Krupp 2WI.LI.15 transmission.

  • Mid 1959? - Arrived in Tasmania  (ship unknown)

  • 10/1959 - Entered service in red colour scheme

  • Date unknown - Painted in Tiger stripe livery

  • Early 1980 - Stored out of service 

  • 16/01/1981 - Written off

  • 7/1981 - Stripped of mechanical components

  • 17/08/1981 - Scrapping completed

U1  

  • 1950 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1955 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-25

  • 1955 - Stored surplus at Mt. Beauty (Kiewa River), N.E. Victoria

  •  2/1956 - Shipped to Tasmania by Utah Constructions for work on the H.E.C. Wayatinah 'B' Tunnel construction

  • Early 1958 - Bought by the T.G.R. & moved to Launceston

  • Early - mid 1958 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Railway Workshops

  • 6/1958 - Entered service (allocated to Launceston)

  • Early 1975 - 12/1975 - Transferred to Campania (rail transhipment point for Hobart's Eastern Shore following Tasman Bridge collapse). 1st 'U' class to operate south of Launceston

  • Early 1976 / Late 1977 / early 1978? - Stored out of service (but available for service as required) in Hobart

  • End 1980 - Stored out of service in Devonport

  • 16/01/1981 - Written off

  • 5/1981 - Sold to a fisherman (Mr. M.F. Best of King Island)

  • 13/6/ 1981 - Stripped of mechanical components. Loaded on KKC2, Devonport wharf

  • 27/10/1981 - Transferred back to Launceston

  • 4/1982- Locomotive shell donated and transferred to Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 1989 - Loco shell cosmetically restored and sent to Savage River in exchange for the Strahan Marine Board Dubs 2-4-2T steam locomotive (originally Bundaberg Railway No. 2 (latterly Q.R. 4D9 No. 131)

  • 1997 - Returned to DRR from Savage River and stored

  • 2009? - Scrapped

U2

  • 1951 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1955 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-29

  • 1955 - Stored surplus at Mt. Beauty (Kiewa River), N.E. Victoria

  • 2/1956 - Shipped to Tasmania by Utah Constructions for work on the H.E.C. Wayatinah 'B' Tunnel construction

  • Early 1958 - Bought by the T.G.R. & moved to Launceston

  • Early - mid 1958 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Railway Workshops

  • 7/1958 - Entered service (allocated to Stanley)

  • 11/1976 - On hire to Don River Railway

  • 12/1980 - Off hire & returned to Australian National Railways (in Devonport) to store

  • 16/01/ 981 - Written off

  • 5/1981 - Sold to a fisherman (for the engine)

  • 7/1981 - Stripped of mechanical components

  • 25/07/1982 - Frame and cab only noted in Devonport

U3

  • 1951 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-30

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Bandiana, Victoria

  • 4/1959 - Bought by the T.G.R. & shipped to Tas.

  • Early - mid 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Railway Workshops

  • 10/1959 - Entered service (allocated to Wynyard)

  • Mid 1962 - Based in Zeehan for demolition of the Zeehan - Strahan Railway

  • 2/1963 - Returned to the main TGR system

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service

  • 29/9/1981 - Written off

  • 26/10/1981 - Returned to service & fitted with auto-couplers and repainted in Tiger stripe livery

  • 11/1983 - Stored out of service (failed gearbox)

  • 7/1987 - Sold to Alan Foken (Hillwood Strawberry Farm). Stripped of mechanical components and shell left with Don River Railway

  • 12/1990 - Shell placed in Launceston City Park (in exchange for TGR Beyer Peacock 4-4-0 steam locomotive, A4)

U4

  • 1951 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-30

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Bandiana, Victoria

  • 4/1959 - Bought by the T.G.R. & shipped to Tas

  • Mid - late 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Railway Workshops

  • 12/1959 - Entered service (allocated to Ulverstone)

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service in Stanley

  • 29/09/1981 - Written off

  • 08/06/1982 - Sold to a farmer at Wiltshire Junction

  • 6/1982 - Towed to Wiltshire Jct. from Stanley

  • Late 6/1982 - Dismantled - underframe and wheels left

  • Early 1990's - Remains of U4 disappeared

SEC No.13-E-33

  • 1950 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Bandiana, Victoria

  • 8/1959 - Bought by the Commonwealth Dept. of Supply & shipped to Tasmania

  • Late 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'3" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Workshops as a contribution to the Colombo Plan

  • August 1960 - Shipped from Devonport to Bangkok, Thailand

  • Late 1960 - Entered  service at Lignite Authority's  Mae Moh Power Station, Lampang province, Thailand.

  • Date unknown - Preserved at the Mae Moh Mine Museum, Lampang Province, Thailand. 

SEC No.13-E-34

  • 1950 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Bandiana, Victoria

  • 8/1959 - Bought by the Commonwealth Dept. of Supply & shipped to Tasmania

  • Late 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'3" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Workshops as a contribution to the Colombo Plan

  • August 1960 - Shipped from Devonport to Bangkok, Thailand

  • Late 1960 - Entered  service at Lignite Authority's  Mae Moh Power Station, Lampang province, Thailand.

  • Date unknown - Preserved at the Mae Moh Mine Museum, Lampang Province, Thailand. 

U5

  • 1951 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-36

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Footscray, Victoria

  • 7/1959 - Bought by the T.G.R. & shipped to Tasmania

  • Mid - late 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Workshops

  • 8/04/1960 - Entered service (allocated to Smithton)

  • 1974 - 1981 - Stored out of use (but available for service) in Smithton

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service in Smithton

  • 29/09/1981 - Written off

  • June 1982 - Sold to TTMS member, Ted Lidster

  • Late August 1982 - Railed (on KKC wagon) to Hobart

  • 28/01/1984 - Towed TGR  steam locomotive H2 from Hobart to new Tas. Loco. Co. Depot at Cadburys, Claremont

  • 16/12/1989 - Last locomotive to use the Cadbury's warehouse siding

  • 17/12/1993 - Transfer run of Tas. Loco. Co. rolling stock from Cadburys to Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk. Final rail vehicle to traverse the Cadbury Branch Line.

  • 20/08/2002 - Transported to Strahan for trackwork trains on West Coast Wilderness (Abt) Railway.

  • 05/09/2002 - Returned to DVR New Norfolk, having worked between Strahan and Dubbil Barril

  • Late 2002 - Track maintenance trains (New Norfolk - Westerway section)

  • 1/2011 - Out of service for running gear overhaul

  • 2020 - Running gear overhauled completed, repainted and name plate 'TED' attached

U6

  • 1951 - Built by Malcolm Moore Industries, Victoria for Utah Constructions - Malcolm Moore Model 10-102 fitted with a Gardner 6LW engine and Wilson-Drewry transmission

  • 1951 - 1954 - Engaged on construction work on the S.E.C. (Vic.) Kiewa Hydro-electric Power Scheme as SEC No.13-E-41

  • 4/1954 - Stored surplus at Footscray, Victoria

  • 7/1959 - Bought by the T.G.R. & shipped to Tasmania

  • Mid - late 1959 - Rebuilt to 3'6" gauge and new cab and running boards fitted at Launceston Workshops

  • 6/1960 - Entered service allocated to Devonport

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service in Deloraine

  • 29/09/1981 - Written off

  • 2/1982 - Sold to Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 3/1982 - Railed (on KKC wagon) to Don River Railway

V1 / VA1

  • Late 1947 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 30/08/1948 - Arrived Ocean Wharf, Burnie aboard the ship "Port Hobart"

  • 30/09/1948 - Entered service (painted green)

  • 22/6/1962 - Re-engined with a Gardner 6L3 153hp engine. Reclassified to 'VA'

  • Late 1982 - Stored out of service in Hobart

  • 2/1983 - Written off

  • 25/2/1983 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to the Bellarine Peninsula Railway, Queenscliffe, Victoria

  • 10/1983 - Shipped from Hobart to Melbourne and roaded to the Bellarine Peninsula Railway

V2

  • Late 1947 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine.

  • 30/08/1948 - Arrived Ocean Wharf, Burnie aboard the ship "Port Hobart"

  • 05/10/1948 - Entered service (painted green)

  • Between July 1961 & August 1965 - Intermittently on hire to the Emu Bay Railway, along with either V9 or V11

  • 12/1977 - General overhaul and repaint to Tiger stripe livery

  • 3/1984 - Stored out of service in Devonport

  • 28/03/1984 - Written off

  • 13/07/1984 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to the Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 10/1984 - Transferred to Don River Railway

  • 01/12/1984 - Entered service with Don River Railway

V3

  • Late 1947 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 21/10/1948 - Arrived Ocean Wharf, Burnie aboard the ship "Port Napier"

  • 19/11/1948 - Entered service (painted green)

  • 30/08/1972 - Re-engined with a Gardner 6L3 153hp engine (ex VA8) and reclassified VA3

  • End of 1982 - Stored out of service in Burnie

  • 10/02/1983 - Written off

  • 25/02/1983 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to a fisherman (for the engine)

  • 25/04/1983 - Stripped of mechanical components

  • Mid 1983 - Loco shell scrapped

V4

  • Late 1947 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine.

  • 22/11/1948 - Arrived Elizabeth St Pier, Hobart aboard the ship "Port Lyttelton"

  • 18/12/1948 - Entered service (painted green)

  • 12/1983 - Stored out of service in Launceston

  • 28/03/1984 - Written off

  • 13/07/1984 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to  the Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 11/1984 - Transferred to Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 11/1986 - Sold to the Hotham Valley Railway, Pinjarra, W.A

  • 23/11/1986 - Shipped to W.A. aboard the ship "Irene Greenwood"

  • 1987 - Converted to chopper couplings and repainted green. Transferred to Dwellingup to run trains to Etmilyn

V5

  • Late 1950 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 12/10/1951 - Arrived Elizabeth St Pier, Hobart aboard the ship "Belpariel"

  • 29/10/1951 - Entered service (painted green)

  • 3/1979 - Heavy overhaul, window modifications (3rd rear & large sliding side windows added) & repainted yellow

  • Early 1986 - Stored out of service in Hobart

  • 6/1986 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to the Hotham Valley Railway, Pinjarra, W.A

  • 23/11/1986 - Shipped to W.A. aboard the ship "Irene Greenwood"

  • 1987 - Converted to chopper couplings and repainted green. Transferred to Dwellingup to run trains to Etmilyn

V6

  • Late 1950 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 12/10/1951 - Arrived Elizabeth St Pier, Hobart aboard the ship "Belpariel"

  • 07/11/1951 - Entered service (painted green)

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service in Launceston (failed gearbox)

  • 08/08/1983 - Written off (still in TGR red). Only TGR diesel (other than 'U' class) never to be repainted yellow.

  • 30/09/1983 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to a fisherman (for the engine) 

  • 1988 - Stripped of mechanical components. Loco shell claimed by Don River Railway in Launceston

  • 1993 - Chassis moved to Don River Railway, Devonport

  • 2013? - Chassis sold to West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown

  • 20/08/2015 - Frame sold to Derwent Valley Railway

  • 04/09/2015 - Transported to DVR New Norfolk

V7

  • Mid 1955 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • Early 1955 - Arrived Hobart (ship unknown)

  • 21/05/1955 - Entered service (painted red)

  • Mid 1981 - Stored out of service in Hobart (failed gearbox)

  • 08/08/1983 - Written off

  • 13/07/1984 - Tendered for disposal

  • 24/08/1984 - Tender recalled.  Loco stripped of mechanical components

  • Early 1985 - Loco shell donated to Kingborough Council

  • 3/1985 - Loco shell placed on display at Dru Point Reserve, Margate

  • 03/04/1998 - Loco shell acquired by Derwent Valley Railway & transported to New Norfolk

V8 / VA8

  • Mid 1955 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine
    September 

  • Early 1955 - Arrived Hobart (ship unknown)

  • 01/07/1955 - Entered service (painted red)

  • 22/06/1962 - Re-engined with a Gardner 6L3 153hp engine. Reclassified to 'VA'

  • 02/10/1972 - Re-engined with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine (ex VA3).

  • Early May 1987 - Stored out of service in Railton

  • 9/1987 - Tendered for disposal. Sold to the Bellarine Peninsula Railway, Queenscliffe, Victoria

  • 19/10/1987 - Railed (on wagon KKC2) to Hobart

  • 26/10/1987 - Shipped to Melbourne (on ship "Seaway Melbourne or Seaway Hobart"?

  • 1990's - Repainted red

  • December 2004 - Repainted green

V9

  • Mid 1958 - early 1959 - Built by the TGR in Launceston Workshops from components supplied by the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 09/04/1959 - Entered service (painted red). Initially allocated to Zeehan (Strahan - Zeehan Line)

  • 7/1961 & 8/1965 - Intermittently on hire to the Emu Bay Railway, along with either V2 or V11

  • 11/1982 - Stored out of service

  • 12/04/1983 - Written off

  • 9/1983 - Sold to the Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

  • End of 1983 - Shipped to Melbourne and transported to Belgrave

  • 1984 - Stripped of parts for PBR No. D21 (ex V12) then placed on display in Menzies Creek Museum

  • 11/2004 - Sold to West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown

  • End of 2007 - Shipped to Burnie and transported to Queenstown

  • July 2011 - Replacement engine installed & cab modified from TGR built (wide cab) profile to Vulcan Foundry built (narrow cab) profile

V10

  • Early - mid 1962 - Built by the TGR in Launceston Workshops from components supplied by the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine.

  • 08/10/1962 - Entered service (painted red). Initially allocated to Herrick (for the Legerwood - Herrick section of the North East Line)

  • 11/08/1981 - Noted derailed on Launceston Kings Wharf

  • 10/10/1981 - Stored out of service in Launceston (faulty radiator)

  • 08/08/1983 - Written off

  • 30/09/1983 - Tendered for disposal - Sold to a fisherman (for the engine)

  • Late 1983 - Stripped of mechanical components

  • 1/1984 - Scrapped

V11

  • Early - mid 1962 - Built by the TGR in Launceston Workshops from components supplied by the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine.

  • 30/10/1962 - Entered service (painted red). Initially allocated to Zeehan (Strahan - Zeehan Line)

  • 7/1961 - 8/1965 - Intermittently on hire to the Emu Bay Railway, along with either V2 or V9

  • Late 1983 - Stored out of service in Burnie

  • 28/03/1984 - Written off

  • 13/07/1984 - Tendered for disposal - Sold to a fisherman (for the engine)

  • Late 1984 - Stripped of mechanical components & scrapped

V12

  • Late 1962 - early 1968 - Built intermittently by the TGR in Launceston Workshops from components supplied by the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 14/08/1968 - Entered service (painted red)

  • 3/1983 - Stored out of service in Launceston (faulty engine)

  • 08/08/1983 - Written off

  • 9/1983 - Sold to the Puffing Billy Railway, Belgrave, Victoria

  • Late 1983 - Regauged from 3'6" (1067mm) to 2'6" (762mm) at Emu Bay Railway, Burnie Workshops

  • End of 1983 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne and transported to Belgrave

  • 1984 - 1986 - Rebuilt for PBR operations & renumbered D21

  • 1987 - Entered service on PBR

V13

  • 1953 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 1953 - Arrived (arrival port and ship unknown)

  • Late 1953 - Entered service with the Mt. Lyell Mining & Railway Co. On the Queenstown - Strahan 'Abt' line, working between Strahan & Dubbil Barril, (painted MLM&RCo green)

  • 14/11/1962 - Written off by MLM&RCo.

  • 29/06/1963 - Official cessation of service on the 'Abt' Line

  • 10/08/1963 - Final run on the MLM&RCo. 'Abt' line

  • Late 1963 - Sold to Tasmanian Government Railways

  • 5/1964 - Entered service with the T.G.R.  (painted red). Numbered 'V13'

  • Early 1986 - Written off

  • 6/1986 - Tendered for disposal

  • 17/10/1986 - Tender re-called

  • 8/1987 - Re-tendered and sold to a Launceston business-man. (Actual owner after sale was disputed)

  • 10/1989 - Moved to engineering business premises in Invermay along with X5 & XA4

  • Early 1992 - Sold to Zig Zag Railway (NSW) (Sale disputed by other claimant to V13's ownership - court action initiated, then dropped)

  • 23/04/1992 - Shipped to NSW from Hobart

  • Early 2001 - Sold by Zig Zag Railway to West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown

  • 06/04/2001 - Shipped back to Tasmania. Transported to Saunders & Ward Engineering, Kingston for fitting with rack mechanism

  • 24/09/2001 - Transported to WCWR Queenstown

  • 9/2001 - 5/2002 - Leased to Coleman's (contractors re-constructing WCWR) working between Queenstown & Dubbil Barril

  • 7/2002 - Lease passed to Federal Hotels (operators of WCWR)

  • 8/2002 -  Renumbered 'D2' 

  • 2014 - Rack mechanism removed

 

 

With thanks to Stephen Zvillis and Nevin Shakespeare.