AB1 is a 1st and 2nd class carriage with four compartments to seat 36 passengers. Built in England for the Launceston and Western Railway in 1869, it was fitted to a four-wheel underframe to suit the 1600mm track gauge (Broad Gauge). It was later fitted with a six-wheel underframe to suit the 1067 mm gauge in the 1886–1888 period, after the conversion of broad gauge line to narrow gauge. AB1 was relegated to secondary services in early 1900s, and was retired from passenger service in 1953 and converted to workers camp car. AB1 was donated by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) in 1972 to the museum.
B+4 and B+21
Both B+ carriages are end platform first or second-class saloon carriages built for the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company (TMLR) in about 1885. Both are fitted with six-wheel underframes. Following the takeover of the TMLR by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) in 1890, the carriage bodies were widened and they were then used as second class cars. By the 1920s they were relegated to Hobart suburban train services. Both carriages were out of service by 1950 and B+4 was converted to a camp car. Both carriages were sold to the museum in 1971–1972. B+21 is fully restored whilst B+4 is waiting for restoration.
A+17 is an end platform first-class saloon carriage built for the Tasmanian Main Line Railway (TMLR).
Following takeover of the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company (TMLR) by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) the carriage was one of a number transferred to the Bellerive to Sorell railway, which opened in May 1892. Following the closure of the railway in June 1926 the body was sold for private use and was later donated to the museum by Mr B Johnston in 1979. The body was mounted on a four-wheel underframe purchased from Australian National Railways (ANR).
AAL10 is Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) first class double-bogie saloon carriage built in the Launceston Workshops in 1930. AAL10 was used on main line passenger services from its introduction into service. It also operated on secondary and suburban passenger services from the 1950s until regular suburban passenger services were withdrawn at the end of 1974. AAL10 was purchased from Australian National Railways (ANR) in 1979.
DB3 is a Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) double-bogie guards van that includes a guard’s compartment, a freight/luggage storage compartment, dog travelling compartment and two passenger compartments for 16 passengers. Built in 1885, DB3 was one of a large class of standard TGR guards vans that were found on trains throughout the TGR system. The original body was replaced by a new body in 1947, the newer body being of a similar design but with numerous detail differences. DB3 was withdrawn from service in 1986 at a time when guards vans were dispensed with on trains. DB3 was donated by AN Tasrail.
In August and September 1931 two single-engine steam railcars, SP1 and SP2, were introduced to service. Despite being steam rather than petrol or diesel powered, these cars ran well and were capable of maintaining fast times on main line. The steam railcars had the disadvantage of requiring more servicing and required a fireman as part of the crew, which the petrol or diesel powered cars did not require, but in spite of this another two cars, SP3 and SP4, were introduced in 1934. Five more similar cars were introduced in 1937 with oil fired boilers.
SP3 to SP9 differed from the first two steam railcars in that they had larger boilers and two engines fitted, one to drive an axle at each end of the car. The extra power of these cars enabled them to haul one or two carriages to gain extra passenger capacity when required. With the introduction of more DP Railcars, SP4 had it boiler removed in 1950 and was used as a passenger carriage. SP4 was delivered to the museum on 19 October 1979. The prolonged restoration of SP4 was finally completed in early 1999, it has being refurbished to a 1950s colour scheme that complements AAL10.