A159 was built in 1890, while C589 was converted from A163 in 1957. Both represent large classes first introduced in 1885 with the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR). A total of 488 A class were built by 1926 and 641 C class by 1958. The C class have higher sides and ends than the A class. Used for general freight and coal haulage throughout Tasmania, the last of these classes were withdrawn in 1978. Both were obtained from Australian National Railways (ANR) in 1979.
These vans also represent a large class of Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) vehicles that were widely used, and had a number of design variations from their introduction in 1885 to when the last vans were built in 1961. The last of the class was withdrawn in 1978.
Travelling Crane No. 2
Former Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) crane built by Stottert & Pitt in1888. This was one of six cranes operated by the TGR for mobile crane work including derailment recovery. No.2 was out of use by the 1960s and was donated by the TGR in 1972.
The Emu Bay Railway (EBR) had a fleet of similar four-wheel vans, chiefly for use on the West Coast lines. E11 was withdrawn during the 1970s and was donated by the EBR.
Originally built for North Mount Lyell Railway 1899 as an ore hopper wagon, it was acquired by the Emu Bay Railway (EBR) and rebuilt as an open wagon for use on the West Coast lines. It was donated by the EBR.
One of a large class of 300 open wagons built between 1940 and 1952, CC262 was built in 1950. It was used by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) to carry general freight, coal and fertiliser traffic throughout Tasmania. It was withdrawn from service in 1987 and donated by AN Tasrail.
Built in 1956 by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR), it is one of a class of 32 similar grover bogie wagons used on departmental ballast trains. It was withdrawn from service in 1989 and donated by AN Tasrail. It is currently on lease to the West Coast Wilderness Railway at Queenstown.
Originally built 1876 as a four-wheel sheep wagon for the Tasmanian Main Line Railway Company (TMLR), before being converted to a covered van by the Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) for the Bellerive–Sorell line. Interestingly, the original steel frames remain behind the outer wooden cladding. Following the closure of this line in June 1926 the body was sold for private use and was later donated to the society in 1994. It does not have an underframe and is used for storage purposes.
This wagon started life as CC 133 and in 1979 was modified to transport locomotive sand from the old Launceston Workshops to Hobart locomotive depot. These modifications included the fitting of Roller Bearing passenger bogies from an EEP van, three C1D cement containers, discharge piping, and automatic couplers, as well as recoding to SC 1 and painting yellow. The wagon spent much of its life sitting by the sand shed in Hobart yard, with the occasional run to Launceston for refilling, before being withdrawn and stored around 1996. During its life, the wagon had been recoded to ZS 1 (in line with the National rolling stock coding standards), as well as receiving more modification including the replacement of some door panels with wire mesh and modifications to the unloading equipment. ZS1 arrived at the Tasmanian Transport Museum on 27 June 2006. In September 2018, the three hoppers were removed from the wagon to allow better utilisation of the wagon. One hopper was kept by the museum for future display purposes.