History of the Diesel Locomotives and Railcars at the Emu Bay Railway.

PHV 1 – The Emu Bay Railway purchased a new diesel-hydraulic locomotive from England in 1953 with the intention of replacing steam locomotives. However, after a period of service on the mainline between Burnie and the West Coast it was deemed that the design was not well suited to the conditions. PVH 1 (standing for Paxman Voith Hydraulic) was eventually replaced by ex TGR Garratt locomotives, the 10 class and 11 class and relegated to Burnie tippler shunter until 2001 when it was sold to the Derwent Valley Railway.


10 Class – With the mixed success of PVH1, the Emu Bay Railway purchased three locomotives from Tuloch in NSW, but the order was eventually filled by Walkers Ltd in Queensland in 1963.  Three years after the initial delivery, a fourth unit was constructed by the Tasmanian Government Railways in Launceston. All locomotives were placed into storage in Burnie during June 2000 following closure of the Hellyer mine, although 1002 was later returned to traffic.


11 Class – With an increase of expected tonnages the Emu Bay Railway embarked on a significant upgrading program. This included the purchase of seven diesel-hydraulic locomotives, new concentrate wagons and a rotary tippler. The locomotives and concentrate wagons were fitted with automatic couplers, the first in Tasmania to be fitted. The 11 class locomotives were a development of the existing Queensland DH class, and were followed by the 73 class built for the New South Wales and the Western Australian railways MA class. The 11 class were compatible with the earlier 10 class locos. Following the takeover of the Emu Bay Railway by Australian Transport Network in 1998, the decision was made to convert the wagons to Air Brake and in 2002 the 11 class were stored out of service.


Ruston – The Ruston locomotive was built in 1950 by the Ruston and Hornsby Company of England for the Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia Ltd to assist in the shunting of the railway yards at their Rosebery mine. It is a standard 48DS model fitted with narrow gauge wheels to suit its use in Tasmania. The Ruston (builders number 284836/1950) spent most of its life shunting around the Rosebery mine yard until the advent of block ore trains and the cessation of general goods traffic removed the need to shunt small groups of wagons. The locomotive saw little use from the mid 1970’s, spending most of the time locked in the goods shed at Rosebery station having been replaced by the larger six-wheeled Vulcan-Drewry shunter numbered 22. The Ruston was transferred to the Emu Bay Railways Burnie workshop in 1997 where it was repainted into the Emu Bay Railway colours for the Centenary celebrations that same year, having originally been painted in the standard Ruston dark green.

Shortly after the sale of the Emu Bay Railway (EBR) to Australian Transport Network (the new owners of Tasrail) was announced, the Ruston locomotive was donated to the museum by Pasminco, the owners of the Rosebery mine and the EBR, and was trucked to the museum on the 16 April 1998. The loco is fully operational and used for shunting rolling stock around the yard.

UNIT NO. / NAME

DATE / EVENT

1001

  • Early 1963 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 17/08/1693 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Stentor"

  • 23/08/1963 - Trialled to Rosebery

  • 02/09/1963 - Entered service

  • 1/1991 - Re-engined with Caterpillar D398 and cab modifications for middle unit operation

  • 5/1999 - Stored out of service

  • 4/2001 - Sold to Walhalla Gold Fields Railway, Victoria

  • 01/07/2001 - Shipped to Morwell, Victoria for rebuilding and regauge to 2'6"

  • 2/2004 - Delivered to Walhalla Gold Fields Railway, Victoria

1002

  • Early 1963 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 17/8/1693 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Stentor"

  • 21/8/1963 - Trialled to Rosebery

  • 02/09/1963 - Entered service

  • 3/1980 - Re-engined with Caterpillar D398

  • 1990's - Converted to middle unit only operation

  • 6/2000 - Stored out of service

  • 4/2001 - Returned to limited service

  • 9/2001 - Sold to the Don River Railway

  • 15/04/2002 - Towed to the Don River Railway

1003

  • Early 1963 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 17/8/1693 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Stentor"

  • 24/8/1963 - Trialled to Primrose

  • 02/09/1963 - Entered service

  • 4/1985 - Re-engined with Caterpillar D398

  • 1990's - Converted to middle unit only operation

  • 8/1993 - Converted back to lead loco status for 10 class 30th anniversary

  • 04/09/1993 - Led 30th anniversary trains (all four 10 class operating together)

  • 6/2000 - Stored out of service

  • 3/2001 - Sold to the Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow, New South Wales

  • 22/01/2004 - Shipped to the Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow, New South Wales

  • 2004 - Converted to air brake

1004

  • 03/1966 - Built by Tasmanian Government Railways. Launceston, Tasmania

  • 29/03/1966 - Trialled on the NE Line to Scottsdale (failed on return journey)

  • 29/04/1966 - Second trial on the NE Line to Scottsdale

  • 06/05/1966 - Delivery run from Launceston to the Emu Bay Railway, Burnie

  • 23/05/1966 - Entered service

  • 12/1992 - Re-engined with Caterpillar D398

  • 04/09/1993 - Led 30th anniversary trains (all four 10 class operating together)

  • 8/1993 - Converted back to lead loco status for 10 class 30th anniversary

  • 04/09/1993 - Led 30th anniversary trains (all four 10 class operating together)

  • 6/2000 - Stored out of service

  • 3/2001 - Sold to the Zig Zag Railway, Lithgow, New South Wales

  • 06/04/2001 - Shipped to the Zig Zag Railway, New South Wales

  • 2002 - Converted to air brake

1101

  • Mid - late 1969 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 25/12/1969 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 14/01/1970 - Entered service

  • 7/2002 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)

  • 25/03/2003 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne

  • 31/03/2003 - Arrived in Cairns (by road, ex Melb)

  • 2003 - Repainted into CKSR livery (black & pale blue)

1102

  • Mid - late 1969 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 25/12/1969 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 14/01/1970 - Entered service

  • 23/03/2002 - Operated the last vacuum train on the Melba Line (with 1104, 1105 & 1106)

  • 4/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 12/2003 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)

  • 22/5/2008 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne & roaded to Mackay, Queensland

  • 12/12/2020 - Transported by road to Cairns, Queensland

1103

  • Mid - late 1969 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 25/12/1969 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 16/01/1970 - Entered service

  • 1/1990 - Derailed at Highclere

  • 3/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 01/2008 - Sold to Curtain Brothers. Townsville, Queensland

  • 29/05/2008 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne & roaded to Townsville, Queensland

  • 9/2014 - Offered for sale by Curtain Bros.

  • 2016 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)

1104

  • Mid - late 1969 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 25/12/1969 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 20/01/1970 - Entered service.

  • 23/03/2002 - Operated the last vacuum train on the Melba Line (with 1102, 1105 & 1106)

  • 4/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 01/2008 - Sold to Curtain Brothers. Townsville, Queensland

  • 29/05/2008 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne & roaded to Townsville, Queensland

  • 9/2014 - Offered for sale by Curtain Bros.

  • 8/2015 - Sold to A.R.H.S. Qld. Division, N.Q. Locoshed, Bohle, Townsville, Queensland

  • 4/2018 - Sold to EDI Maryborough and moved to Maryborough, Queensland

1105

  • Mid - late 1969 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 25/12/1969 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 17/01/1970 - Entered service

  • 24/12/1998 - Major derailment at Primrose, required cab repairs

  • 23/3/2002 - Operated the last vacuum train on the Melba Line (with 1102, 1104 & 1106)

  • 4/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 7/2002 - Sold to the Beaudesert Railway, Beaudesert, Queensland

  • 01/10/2002 - Ran light engine to Deloraine for repainting at Greg Beck Painters into Beaudesert Rail livery (returned to Burnie on 5/11/2002)

  • 13/11/2002 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne

  • 17/11/2002 - Arrived in Beaudesert, Queensland (by road from Melbourne)

  • 2005 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)


1106

  • Late 1970 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 19/03/1971 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 21/04/1971 - Trial run

  • 12/05/1971 - Entered service

  • 7/2001 - Stored out of service 

  • 12/2001 - returned to service

  • 23/03/2002 - Operated the last vacuum train on the Melba Line (with 1102, 1104 & 1105 

  • 4/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 12/2008 - Sold to Curtain Brothers. Townsville, Queensland

  • 13/05/2008 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne & roaded to Townsville, Queensland

  • 9/2014 - Offered for sale by Curtain Bros.

  • Late 2014 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)

1107

  • Late 1970 - Built by Walkers Ltd. Maryborough, Queensland

  • 19/03/1971 - Arrived in Burnie on the ship "Brisbane Trader"

  • 21/04/1971 - Trial run

  • 12/05/1971 - Entered service

  • 24/12/1998 - Major derailment at Primrose, required cab rebuilding

  • 2/2001 - Replaced EBR No. 21 (PVH) as the tippler shunter

  • 4/2002 - Stored out of service

  • 1/2008 - Sold to Curtain Bros. Townsville, Queensland

  • 13/05/2008 - Shipped from Burnie to Melbourne & roaded to Townsville, Queensland

  • 9/2014 - Offered for sale by Curtain Bros.

  • 2016 - Sold to Cairns Kuranda Steam Railway (CKSR)

  • 1/2018 - Sold to 'Q' Train (Bellarine Peninsula Railway)

  • 19/01/2018 - Departed CKSR depot by road, Edge Hill, Cairns, Queensland

  • 25/01/2018 - Arrived (by road) at Bellarine Peninsula Railway, Queenscliffe, Victoria

PVH 1 / No.21

  • Early 1953 - Built by North British Locomotive Co., Glasgow, Scotland

  • 18/09/1953 - Shipped into Burnie aboard the ship "Herefordshire"

  • 27/11/1953 - Entered service with E.B.R. numbered PVH1 (Paxman Voith Hydraulic)

  • 30/09/1960 - Repainted from green to two tone blue. Renumbered from PVH1 to EBR No. 21

  • 1963 - Withdrawn from mainline operation and restricted to shunting and maintenance trains

  • 1969 - Engaged in the refurbishment of the Rosebery - Melba section

  • 1970 - Became the permanent Burnie shunter

  • 5/1989 - Overhauled and repainted. Headstocks painted yellow.

  • 2/2001 - Withdrawn from service

  • 7/2001 - Sold to Derwent Valley Railway, New Norfolk

  • 29/07/2001 - Ran from Burnie to New Norfolk, then stored (radiator leaks)

  • 1/2011 - Returned to operational service shunting New Norfolk yard

No.22

  • 1953 - Built by Vulcan Foundry Ltd. Newton-Le-Willows, Lancashire, England, on behalf of the Drewry Car Co, with a Gardner 8L3 204hp engine

  • 1953 - Arrived in Tasmania

  • Late 1953 - Entered service with the Mt. Lyell Mining & Railway Co. On the Queenstown - Strahan 'Abt' line, working between Strahan & Dubbil Barril, painted Green

  • 14/11/1962 - Written off by Mt. Lyell Mining & Railway Co. Sold to Emu Bay Railway and moved to Zeehan

  • Early 1963 - Entered service with Emu Bay Railway

  • 1966 - Repainted into Emu Bay Railway two tone blue

  • 1/2000 - Stored out of service

  • March 2000 - Sold to West Coast Wilderness Railway, Queenstown

  • 21/03/2000 - Transported from Burnie to Kingston for overhaul by Saunders & Ward

  • June 2000 - Overhaul completed and transported to Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy for testing

  • 08/06/2000 - Test run from Glenorchy to Tea Tree and return hauling locomotive Y4 and carriages SP4 + AAL10

  • 13/06/2000 - Transported to Queenstown

  • 7/2000 - 2/2002 - Leased to Coleman's (contractors re-constructing WCWR) working between Queenstown / Rinadeena and Dubbil Barril / Regatta Point

  • 8/2002 -  Renumbered 'D1' 

Ruston No. 284836

  • 17/11/1948 - Ordered by Ruston & Hornsby (Melb.) for Electrolytic Zinc Co.  (Tas.) (Order No. 51/480322)

  • 30/6/1950 - Ex works from Ruston & Hornsby, Boultham Works, Lincoln, England (Model 88DS - Ruston 88hp 4VPH engine (No. 287599)

  • 1951 - Entered service with EZCo. At Rosebery Mine yard (painted Green)

  • 1966 - 1967 - Fitted with a replacement engine

  • 1983 - Out of use. Stored Rosebery Goods Shed

  • 1996 - Moved to Burnie by West Coast Transport and repainted from green to EBR two tone blue for the 1997 EBR Centenary

  • 4/1998 - Donated by Pasminco (ex EZCo.) to Tasmanian Transport Museum, Glenorchy

  • 15/04/1998 - Transported from Burnie to TTMS Glenorchy

Railcar "Riley"

  • 1908 - Chassis built by Riley Engine Co. City Works, Coventry U.K.

  • 29/05/1909 - Chassis arrived in Burnie. Body construction commenced by EBR

  • 16/07/1909 - Entered service

  • 20/02/1924 - Regauged to 2'0" & sold to Mt. Lyell Mining & Railway Co.

  • 1930 - Disposed of sometime following establishment of Rosebery Mine & closure of Zeehan Smelters

Railcar "Berliet"

  • 1908 - Chassis built by Riley Engine Co. City Works, Coventry U.K.

  • Early 1916 - Body built by EBR

  • 4/1916 - Entered service

  • 1960 - Sold to R.J. Howard (timber contractors), for worker transport between Firewood Siding & Zeehan until Christmas 1961

Railcar "Argyle"

  • 1916 - Engine bought from Argylls Ltd. Hozier St. Works, Glasgow Scotland

  • 1916 - 1919 - Chassis & body constructed by EBR

  • 11/1919 - Entered service

  • 2/1924 - Sold to Marrawah Tramway, Smithton

M1

  • 1925 - Built by EBR & fitted with engine supplied by AEC Motor Co. Victoria

  • 29/10/1925 - Entered service.

  • 29/06/1940 - End of railcar service to Waratah. M1 then stored

  • 1941 - Written off and scrapped

M2

  • 1926 - Built by EBR & fitted with engine supplied by AEC Motor Co. Victoria

  • 13/05/1926 - Entered service.

  • 29/06/1940 - End of railcar service to Waratah. M2 then stored

  • 1942 - Written off and scrapped

M3

  • 1928 - Built by EBR & fitted with engine supplied by AEC Motor Co. Victoria

  • April 1959 - Written off & scrapped

  • 08/10/1928 - Entered service

  • April 1959 - Written off and scrapped

M4

  • Early 1932 - Chassis built by AEC Motor Co. and bogies by Queensland Government Railways

  • Late 1932 > early 1933 - Body built by EBR

  • 25/02/1933 - Entered service

  • 1/1964 - Written off and scrapped

M5

  • Late 1935 / early 1936 - Chassis built by AEC Motor Co. and bogies by Queensland Government Railways

  • Early 1936 - Body built by EBR

  • 09/07/1936 - Entered service.

  • 12/1959 - Written off and scrapped 

M6

  • 21/01/1954 - Bought from Tasmanian Government Railways and re-numbered from DP5

  • 1960 - Written off & scrapped

M7

  • 23/12/1955 - Bought from Tasmanian Government Railways and re-numbered from DP7

  • 1961 - Written off and scrapped

M8

  • 08/10/1956 - Bought from Tasmanian Government Railways and re-numbered from DP9

  • 13/07/1961 - Last run in service. Booked out with multiple faults

  • 23/10/1961 - Repairs completed, but never returned to service

  • 1964 - Written off 

  • By September 1965 - Stripped of motor, gearbox and bogies. Awaiting disposal

  • Body photographed in a paddock at Ridgley on 29/10/1973 

  • Subsequently moved to a sawmill in the Hampshire Hills. Photographed there between April / May 1976

D1 / WG1

  • 1939 - Built by Walker Railcar Company, Wigan, England. Engine supplied by Gardner Diesels

  • 22/04/1940 - Arrived Hobart aboard ship "Port Adelaide"

  • 26/04/1940 - Tested in Hobart

  • 30/04/1940 - Arrived in Burnie (driven from Hobart)

  • 13/05/1940 - Entered service

  • 05/06/1940 - Renumbered from D1 to WG1

  • 12/1968 - Written off. Body sold for use as a shack at Sisters Beach

 

With thanks to Stephen Zvillis and Nevin Shakespeare