Dodge Fire Engine Returns – 24/05/22
On Sunday May 22, our 1935 Dodge Fire Engine returned to the Museum after many decades away. This fire engine is fitted out as an urban pumper/hose carriage and was the second motorised fire appliance to be based at Burnie. The fire engine chassis arrived at Burnie in March 1936 and was forwarded to the local motor body building firm Bird and Hopkins where the body of the truck was constructed. Newspaper reports indicate the Dodge was a good acquisition and it remained part of the active fleet until about 1966 when it was retired and sold to the Cleveland Tin Mine NL. The fire engine became surplus to the mine’s requirements in 1975 and was offered for sale. The Tasmanian Transport Museum purchased it for the grand sum of $100. Over the years the fire engine has been in storage and on display in various locations, and since around 1990 has been at the Burnie Fire Brigade. Recently, it was returned to Cambridge where the Tasmania Fire Service Museum undertook works on the fire engine before returning it to the Tasmanian Transport Museum for permanent display.
Party Carriage – 28/04/22.
Our Party Carriage is now available for hire. Go to the Visit Us tab to find out more.
Media Release – 24/04/22.
The Tasmanian Transport Museum Society is pleased to announce that a Variation of Accreditation has been formally approved by the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator (ONRSR).
This is an important first step in the Tasmanian Transport Museum’s goal to operate heritage passenger trains between Glenorchy and Chigwell. From today, the Variation of Accreditation allows the museum to access the railway line with track maintenance machines (rail vehicles) to undertake vital track rehabilitation works.
President Rod Prince said “this day has been years in the making, which has seen many hurdles overcome, including public liability insurance, new legislation required to allow disused railway lines to be leased to 3rd parties and of course upgraded safety accreditation. Now that we can formally access the railway line we will undertake vital track rehabilitation and bridge repairs, initially commencing on the section of track between Elwick Road and Grove Road. This will see approximately 60 wooden sleepers replaced with steel sleepers and repairs undertaken to Humphreys Rivulet bridge. Our visitors have wanted a longer train ride experience for a number of years and today marks the first step in achieving this. We expect heritage passenger trains to be in operation initially between Elwick Road and Grove Road in the second half of the year, subject to further ONRSR safety accreditation approval”.
The Tasmanian Transport Museum Society again thanks the Tasmanian Liberal Government and the Hon Michael Ferguson MP, Minister for Transport, in granting a corridor lease to the museum and for providing a funding arrangement for public liability insurance to heritage rail operators. “The faith that the Tasmanian Government has shown in us over the past few years has today been realised with this significant milestone achieved. We are the first heritage rail operator to gain accreditation to access a disused railway line in Tasmania. Without accreditation approval, we were unable to progress the project any further” Mr Prince said.
Further track rehabilitation works and new level crossing light installations will commence between Grove Road and Mentmore Street in Chigwell in the coming months. Track maintenance machines (rail vehicles) can be expected on the railway line during daylight hours at any time.
The general public are asked to remain out of the railway corridor and keep clear of the railway line at all times and pay particular attention when using the approved pedestrian and road crossings.
Any acts of vandalism to the railway infrastructure between Elwick Rd, Glenorchy and Mentmore St, Chigwell can be reported to the Tasmanian Transport Museum Society and Tasmania Police.
For more information, please contact:
Tasmanian Transport Museum Society
0428 386 843